“Every misused word avenges itself forever upon a writer’s reputation.” Agnes Repplier
Note: We are not currently accepting manuscripts from new authors.
To be notified when we resume accepting submissions, Email Us to be placed on our mailing list.
If you’re interested in submitting your work to StoneThread Publishing in the future, this would be a great time to read our About and FAQs pages. Thanks!
Guide to the Guidelines
- Please read our About and FAQs pages before bothering with this page.
- Please submit your polished manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you believe your manuscript needs to be edited, please visit HarveyStanbrough.com and request a free sample edit.
- Finally, we now require a synopsis in addition to the full manuscript for novels and novellas. The synopsis will determine whether we will read the full manuscript. (For a clear synopsis outline, please see About and scroll down to the synopsis instructions.)
Up Front, We Will Neither Consider nor Accept
- Any work for which the target market is children or young teens;
- Erotica (intimate human interaction within the larger context is fine);
- Gratuitous anything (gratuitous is defined as not being essential to the story) including slash-and-gash horror;
- Any work that advocates, espouses or glorifies any particular religious ideology or terrorist ideology;
- Any work that advocates the overthrow or “fundamental change” of the United states, including (and especially) socialism and statism.
What We Want
- Novels — Our focus has shifted. We are looking especially for series with recurring characters or recurring themes. When you submit a manuscript to us, please be prepared to discuss future works should we accept your submission. We accept manuscripts in almost all genres and topics except as noted above. In your submission, indicate in which genre(s) your work fits. Minimum 50,000 words. Please send the synopsis and the full manuscript.
- Novellas — Same as above, except the length requirement is 20,000 to 50,000 words. Please send the synopsis and the full manuscript.
- Collections of Short Fiction — Well-written short works in collections by a single author are sometimes in even higher demand than are longer individual works, yet few publishers will publish collections today. We’re always looking for collections of well-written short stories (five or more stories) in genres as described above. (No multi-author anthologies except those published as the result of StoneThread contests.) Send the full manuscript.
- Note: Send only those works for which you hold copyright. Please do not send anything that’s in the public domain or that is otherwise available free to the public online. (For example, if a few of your individual stories are available free online, we can’t publish those individual stories. However, we can publish a collection of those stories if the collection (a different work) is not available free online.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but if your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
Note: If we accept your work for publication…
Please be prepared to email us a Word document titled MyBookTitle_promo.doc. That document should contain
- your legal name and mailing address (so we can pay you royalties)
- your Social Security Account Number (so we can pay you royalties)
- your PayPal account email address (if applicable) (so we can pay you royalties)
- the title of your work
- the cover tease, if any
- your name or pseudonym exactly as you want it to appear on the cover
- a short description of the book
- a long description of the book (this can be a synopsis)
- appropriate Internet search keywords
- appropriate category(ies) genre(s) for your book
- your author bio
- the URLs (Internet addresses) of any online presence(s) that you have (your personal or professional website, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, etc.)
You should also be prepared to send a head shot author photo as a .jpg file, at least 300 pixels square.
Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com.