“Every misused word avenges itself forever upon a writer’s reputation.” Agnes Repplier
Guide to the Guidelines
- Note: We are strictly an ebook publisher and we have no aspirations to assume the headaches that come with print publication. That is not going to change. If print publication is of primary importance to you, or if you would prefer to have one publisher who handles both print and ebook publication, please do not submit your manuscript to us.
- Please read our About and FAQs pages before submitting your work.
- Our submission email address for your polished manuscript is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you believe your manuscript needs to be edited, we recommend getting a free sample edit at HarveyStanbrough.com.
- We require a synopsis in addition to the full manuscript for novels and novellas. The synopsis will determine whether we will read the full manuscript. (To Create a Concise Synopsis.)
Up Front, We Will Not Consider
- Nonfiction, specially travelogues, biography and history (If you write like Erma Bombeck or Dave Barry or Robert Benchley, query us)
- Poetry unless it’s in the same league with works of Howard Nemerov, William Baer, Robert Pinsky, et al
- Erotica (but intimate human interaction within the larger context is fine);
- Gratuitous anything (gratuitous is defined as not being essential to the story) including slash-and-gash horror;
- Any work for which the target market is children or young teens;
- Any work that advocates, espouses or glorifies any particular religious ideology or terrorist ideology;
- Any work that advocates the overthrow or “fundamental change” of the United States, including socialism and statism.
What We Want
- Novels — We accept manuscripts in almost all genres and topics except as noted above. In your submission, indicate in which genre(s) your work fits. Minimum 50,000 words. Please send the synopsis and the full manuscript.
- Series — Our main focus has shifted to series with recurring characters or recurring themes. See our titles by Nora Barker or Larry Long or Stefan Kanfer. When you submit a manuscript to us, please be prepared to discuss the other works in the series.
- Individual Titles — We are still interested in a good story that’s well told even if it’s a one-off. Even so, authors with more than one title to sell tend to sell more books, so when you submit a manuscript to us, please be prepared to discuss other possible future works.
- Novellas — Same as above, except the length requirement is 15,000 to 50,000 words. Please send the synopsis and the full manuscript. Novellas, especially shorter ones, may also be combined with other short works in a collection.
- Collections of Short Fiction — Well-written short works in collections by a single author are sometimes in even higher demand than are longer individual works, yet few publishers will publish collections today. We’re always looking for collections of well-written short stories (five or more stories) in genres as described above. (No multi-author anthologies except those published as the result of StoneThread contests.) Send the full manuscript.
- Note: Submit only those works for which you hold copyright. Please do not send anything that’s in the public domain or that is otherwise available free to the public online. (For example, if a few of your individual stories are available free online, we can’t publish those individual stories. However, we can publish a collection of those stories if the collection is not available free online.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but if your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
What to Expect If We Accept Your Work for Publication
- Please be prepared to email us a Word document titled MyBookTitle_promo.doc. That document should contain
- the title of your work
- the cover tease, if any (we might not use this)
- your name or pseudonym exactly as you want it to appear on the cover
- a short description of the book (to 400 characters, including spaces)
- a long description of the book (to 4,000 characters, or your synopsis)
- appropriate Internet search keywords
- appropriate category(ies) genre(s) for your book
- your author bio
- the URLs (Internet addresses) of any online presence(s) that you have (your personal or professional website, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, etc.)
- You should also be prepared to send a head shot author photo as a .jpg file, at least 300 pixels square.
- Once we have the publication date set, we will complete, sign and mail to you our StoneThread Publishing Agreement (you can see it Publishing AgreementHere);
- You sign it, make a copy for your records, and mail it back to us. That’s all there is to it!
Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at email@example.com.