“Every misused word avenges itself forever upon a writer’s reputation.” Agnes Repplier
Note: StoneThread Publishing is not accepting submissions at this time.
Guide to the Guidelines
- PLEASE READ OUR ABOUT AND FAQs PAGES BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR WORK.
- We require a synopsis in addition to the full manuscript for novels and novellas. The synopsis will determine whether we will read the full manuscript. (To Create a Concise Synopsis.)
- Our submission email address for your polished manuscript is email@example.com.
We will not consider
- Any work that advocates, espouses or glorifies any particular religious ideology or terrorist ideology; or
- Any work that advocates socialism, statism, or the “fundamental change” of the United States.
- Historical Fiction, especially set during the Civil War; Sword and Sorcery fantasy; Slash and Gash horror; Romance (romantic interaction within the larger context is fine); Erotica (intimate interaction within the larger context is fine); or any fiction for children or teenagers.
- Any manuscript written in present-tense narrative. (This is not the same as first-person narrative.)
What We Want
We will consider any genres not listed above, but we are particularly fond of psychological suspense (horror), mystery, sociological SF, post apocalyptic works and magic realism.
- Novel — In your submission, indicate the genre(s) of your work. Minimum 50,000 words. Please send a synopsis and the full manuscript.
- Series — Our main focus has shifted to series with recurring characters or recurring themes. When you submit a manuscript, please be prepared to discuss other or future works in the series.
- Individual Titles — We are still interested in a good story that’s well told even if it’s a one-off. Even so, authors with more than one title to sell tend to sell more books, so when you submit a manuscript to us, please be prepared to discuss other possible future works.
- Novella — Same as above, except the length requirement is 20,000 to 50,000 words. Please send the synopsis and the full manuscript. Novellas, especially shorter ones, may also be combined with other short works in a collection.
- Novellette — Same as above, except the length requirement is 12,000 to 20,000 words. Please send the full manuscript (no synopsis required). Novellettes, unless they’re particularly strong, should be combined with other short works in a collection.
- Collection of Short Fiction — Well-written short works in collections by a single author are sometimes in even higher demand than are longer individual works, yet few publishers will publish collections today. We’re always looking for collections of well-written short stories (five or more stories) in genres as described above. (No multi-author anthologies except those published as the result of StoneThread contests.) Send the full manuscript.
- Note: Submit only those works for which you hold copyright. Please do not send anything that’s in the public domain or that is otherwise available free to the public online. (For example, if a few of your individual stories are available free online, we can’t publish those individual stories. However, we can publish a collection of those stories if the collection is not available free online.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome, but if your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, please let us know immediately.
- We reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
What to Expect If We Accept Your Work for Publication
- Please be prepared to email us a Word document titled MyBookTitle_promo.doc. That document should contain
- the title of your work
- the cover tease, if any (we might not use this)
- your name or pseudonym exactly as you want it to appear on the cover
- a short description of the book (to 400 characters, including spaces)
- a long description of the book (to 4,000 characters, or your synopsis)
- appropriate Internet search keywords
- appropriate category(ies) genre(s) for your book
- your author bio
- the URLs (Internet addresses) of any online presence(s) that you have (your personal or professional website, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace, etc.)
- You should also be prepared to send a head shot author photo as a .jpg file, at least 300 pixels square.
- Once we have the publication date set, we will complete, sign and mail to you our StoneThread Publishing Agreement (you can see it Here);
- You sign it, make a copy for your records, and mail it back to us. That’s all there is to it!
Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.