StoneThread SpecFic Short Story Contest III
For this contest we’re seeking speculative fiction short stories set in a post-apocalyptic world. It can be Earth or some other world.
For our contests, speculative fiction is defined as any story in any genre that responds to the question “What if?” in a way that depends on science or on any fantastic elements. The genres include science fiction (hard or sociological), science fantasy, fantasy, magic realism, psychological horror (no slash and gash please), ghost stories, urban fantasy, paranormal romance (no erotica please), etc. With that in mind, send us your best effort.
- There is no reading fee or entry fee for this contest.
- Entry deadline, 31 March 2014 (may be extended if we do not receive enough entries)
- Previously unpublished short fiction only
- 1,000 to 10,000 words
- Email your submission as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf attachment to email@example.com
- Enter as many stories as you like, one story per email
- We accept simultaneous submissions but let us know immediately if it’s accepted elsewhere
- Name and email address must appear in upper left corner of the first page of the story
- Past tense is the natural voice of narrative; please, no present tense narrative (of course, dialogue will be in present tense, as will the unspoken thoughts of characters)
- We will announce the winners by email to all entrants approximately one month after the contest closes. Please be certain we have your valid email address.
- We will endeavor to correct any inadvertent errors in a submission (e.g., email address missing from the manuscript) but we will not read entries that are under or over the word-count limits or that are presented in present tense.
Prizes — All winning entries, including all honorable mentions, will be included in an anthology to be published as an ebook by StoneThread Publishing.
$60 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
The Fine Print: By submitting work to this contest, authors grant StoneThread Publishing the right to include winning works in an anthology and grant all electronic rights to those works for a period of three months, during which time the author agrees not to submit the story for publication elsewhere or otherwise cause it to be published in any other electronic media. Authors will receive no further compensation beyond publication and the prizes listed above.
Thanks! We look forward to reading your entry!
All our previous anthologies and all our fiction titles are on sale for 50% off from now through December 31.
For details, please Click Here.
For first-hand notification of contests and other news, Sign Up for Our Newsletter.
For a great blog on writing from a National Book Award nominee, Sign Up for the Publisher’s Blog.