This contest is now closed. Good luck!
StoneThread Short Story Contest III
For this contest we’re seeking hard-nosed short stories. By hard-nosed, we mean we want the rough stuff: detective, mystery, thriller, psychological suspense, police procedural, etc. If it moves the reader to the edge of his chair or makes him shrink back in fear, send it. If it’s so absurd it makes us laugh, albeit nervously, send it. Can it have elements of romance or fantasy or science fiction? Sure. Anything from the hard-working gumshoe working homicide in Detroit or Chicago or New York to an interdimensional being tracking a bail jumper through time to your best female sleuth, you know, sleuthing and stuff. Please no gratuitous anything unless the use is obviously intentional, as in hyperbole. With that in mind, send us your best effort.
- There is no reading fee or entry fee for this contest
- Entry deadline, 30 April 2013 (may be extended if we do not receive enough entries)
- Previously unpublished short fiction only
- 1,000 to 10,000 words
- Email submission as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter as many stories as you like, one story per email
- Name and email address must appear in upper left corner of the first page of the story
- Past tense is the natural voice of narrative; please, no present tense narrative (of course, dialogue will be in present tense, as will the unspoken thoughts of characters)
We will announce the winners by email to all entrants approximately one month after the contest closes
We will endeavor to correct any inadvertent errors in a submission (e.g., email address missing from the manuscript) but we will not read entries that are under or over the word-count limits or that are presented in present tense.
$60 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
$50 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
$40 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
$30 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
$20 plus one copy of the anthology in each format
Publication plus one copy of the anthology in each format
The Fine Print: By submitting to this contest, authors grant StoneThread Publishing the right to include winning works in an anthology and grant all electronic rights to those works for a period of one year, during which time the author agrees not to submit the story for publication elsewhere or otherwise cause it to be published in any other electronic media. Authors will receive no further compensation beyond publication and the prizes listed above.
Thanks! We look forward to reading your entry!
The result of our first contest was an anthology to honor Ray Bradbury. To get your copy of this excellent anthology for 25% off the cover price, go to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/234378 and during checkout enter Coupon Code CH76A (not case sensitive).